segunda-feira, 8 de junho de 2009

What is your songwriting process?


Do Music Think Tank, em inglês:

If you've been writing songs for awhile, you've inevitably been asked, "Which do you start with - words or music?" It's not always that simple!

I usually work from a title. When one hits me, I’ll rough out some stream-of-consciousness prose to make sense of it. It could end up meaning something completely different than what I thought it meant at the beginning. Next I’ll flesh out the song structure and melody. Then I’ll mold the useful bits of my garbled prose into a lyric. The production goodies come at the end - typically the hardest part for me. At that point, I just want it to be done. I can only spend so much time finessing automation envelopes.

How about you? Where do you draw your inspiration? What hits you first — a lyric, a melody, a groove, a bass riff? What's your songwriting process?

Comento:
Eu começo normalmente pela letra. Vem uma idéia na cabeça, então começo a escrever sem parar, melhorando, alterando, rabiscando, etc. Não importa onde eu esteja, alguma festa, em casa, no transito, barzinho etc. Believe is not enough nasceu em uma festa de aniversário; tive a idéia, pedi papel e caneta ao dono da casa, escrevi enquanto todos bebiam e se divertiam, guardei e depois em casa coloquei a melodia.
Cheguei a escrever algumas letras no transito, enquanto o farol estava fechado, escrevia, e entre um farol e outro ficava cantarolando a melodia para não esquecer.

Trilha: John Mayer - Vultures

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Deixe aqui o seu comentário.